SWAPFAIL_MISS in 2.3

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 19:21:49 -0500

This has been discussed a couple of times by other folks in the past two
months but no solution has been presented. So I thought I'd bring it up
again to see if anything has been figured out.

In 2.3.STABLE3 (and STABLE2 as well...not sure about STABLE1), an
async-io compile will begin losing it's cache and reporting
SWAPFAIL_MISS entries after a short time under load. If I run for a few
hours under load, the hit rate will drop from (for example, on a
Polymix-2 workload) 55% to 30% (mostly MEM_HITs).

I've tried compiling with all default options, except enable-async-io
with the same results. A non-async compile does not exhibit this
problem (but is too slow for our purposes).

The problem seems more pronounced on a full cache directory than on one
that doesn't need to delete files to store new objects. Someone
suggested earlier clearing and recreating the Squid dirs...this does not
solve the problem for any length of time (it works for about an hour).

Anyone have any ideas for a fix?

Thanks in advance.
                                 --
                    Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>