Re: Hit Ratio

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 10:29:59 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Craig Whitmore wrote:

> I have a transparent proxy server and getting after about 2 weeks of
> usage..for about 500 contineous users What should I expect. How big
> should I make the cache.. its about 10 gigs at the moment for this
> number of users. 500-1000 requests/mins. Is there any secret formula
> to get the best out of the cache?

Yes there is - unfortunately we can't tell you, or it wouldn't be a
secret, would it? :)

Seriously, reading through the archives of this list should reveal that
the issue of choosing an optimal cache size is discussed regularly.
Usually, the concensus is that you should have enough room to store
between 5 and 15 days of traffic, regardless of how many users you have.

> Request Hit Ratios: 5min: 45.9%, 60min: 40.9%
> Byte Hit Ratios: 5min: 24.1%, 60min: 21.7%

These actually look pretty good to me. Has anyone else been feeling that
the web is becoming less cacheable this year?

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781