squid on slow, high latency links

From: Adi Linden <adi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:03:03 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I am building a caching box that connects to the world via DirecPC and
MSAT. That means a slow link (4800baud outbound, 400kbps inbound) and high
latency (average ping time 1600ms no load, up to 20000ms high load).

I am testing the box now and find that there are plenty of occassions when
squid doesn't finish downloading objects but a webbrowser configured to
bypass the cache downloads the same object complete. Any hints on which
timeouts to configure to convince squid to keep downloading even when it's
slow?

TTYL,
Adi