DNS

From: Adi Linden <adi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:12:21 -0500 (CDT)

Is it possibe to configure squid to do cache DNS for clients?

Right now the connection goes as follows:
1. Client enters URL
2. Webbrowser does DNS lookup with remote nameserver
3. Webbrowser goes to get page
4. Transparent proxy redirects request to cache
5. Squid does DNS with remote nameserver
6. Squid gets objects
7. Squid passes objects to webserver

Now a second client requests the same URL
8. Second client enters URL
9. Second browser does DNS with remote nameserver
10. From here on it goes fast as squid has the page and DNS cached

In my situations the DNS lookup take approx 10s on a good day. This makes
the whole thing seem very slow since the user sits and waits even for
cached pages till the DNS lookup completed even if the page is in the
cache.

So can squid be configured to proxy/cache DNS requests? Or is my only
alternative to run a caching nameserver on the caching machine? Are there
any lightweight caching nameservers other than bind?

TTYL,
Adi