Re: squid with two NICs

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 17:52:28 -0600

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Stephen Amadei wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Duane Wessels wrote:
>
> > > if you don't use BGP you need two separate squid machines. One with route
> >
> > Perhaps not. Maybe ftp://ftp.vix.com/pub/vixie/ifdefault can help.
>
> I didn't get much out of this... what exactly does these patches do?
> Is it a BSD thing or Linux? Could these patchese be applied to Linux?

I believe the patches are for BSDI, but probably easily ported to other BSDs.

The idea is to have two default routes -- one per NIC. When a connection
is initiated, it remembers which interface recieved the first packet.
Then, the remaining packets for that connection go out the same
interface.

The biggest difference is that Paul's patches are for a multihomed
*server* so it remembers the interface that got the first SYN.
Squid is being a *client* in this case, so what you'd want to do
is remember which interface got the SYN-ACK. I don't know if
thats even possible.

Duane W.