Re: squid with two NICs

From: Stephen Amadei <amadei@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 01:44:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski wrote:

> At 01:55 00-06-17, Stephen Amadei wrote:
> >If you _are_ using BGP4, how would you do this? I am currently thinking
> >of using two IP aliases on one NIC, but I need two NICs, I'll put a second
> >one in...
>
> Then the router makes the job (balancing) because it choose the "better"
> way (but for this you need PI-AS IP numbers or PA-AS IP numbers + router
> which makes BGP (Linux can) - the PI-AS numbers costs about
> 2000EUR/year)... One squid machine isn't enought because on generic system
> you have not two different DEFAULT routes....

I take it this requires a router that can hold _all_ the routes on the
'net... mine does BGP4, but can't hold all these routes.

I'm not real concerned with the bandwidth squid uses to ask for webpages,
I am concerned with load balancing the bandwidth of the webpages coming
_back_ into my network. The way BGP is currently set up with my
upstreams, bandwidth from ISP1's IP addresses come back on ISP2's
interface... and bandwidth from ISP2's IP addresses come back on ISP1's
interface... so if squid could produce requests with different source IP
addresses, load balancing could be achieved, at least coming into my
network... This is why I'm thinking of running two Squids on one machine,
either useing two NICs or two virtual interfaces... but I cannot figure
how to get the two squids to speak to each other, so squid1 isn't
retrieving objects that are in squid2's cache. Plus I need to configure
this mess to use Cidera... ;-)

I hate to be ignorant, but I still cannot see the error of my logic.

                                        ----Steve
Stephen Amadei
Dandy.net CTO
Atlantic City, NJ