Re: squid with two NICs

From: Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski <B.Solarz-Niesluchowski@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 08:03:46 +0200

At 07:44 00-06-17, you wrote:
>On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski wrote:
>
> > At 01:55 00-06-17, Stephen Amadei wrote:
> > >If you _are_ using BGP4, how would you do this? I am currently thinking
> > >of using two IP aliases on one NIC, but I need two NICs, I'll put a second
> > >one in...
> >
> > Then the router makes the job (balancing) because it choose the "better"
> > way (but for this you need PI-AS IP numbers or PA-AS IP numbers + router
> > which makes BGP (Linux can) - the PI-AS numbers costs about
> > 2000EUR/year)... One squid machine isn't enought because on generic system
> > you have not two different DEFAULT routes....
>
>I take it this requires a router that can hold _all_ the routes on the
>'net... mine does BGP4, but can't hold all these routes.

So it can not use TRUE WORLD BGP4 (you can feed only your net to the ISP)!
true BGP4 it is about 70000 routes.

>I hate to be ignorant, but I still cannot see the error of my logic.

So:
machine squid 1:
IP from ISP1
route default IP_ISP1
normal configuration
machine squid 2:
IP from ISP2
route default IP_ISP2
normal configuration

machine squid for users (can be virtual on e.g. squid 1):
cache_peer squid_isp1 8080 3130 parent no-cache
cache_peer squid_isp1 8080 3130 parent no-cache
(No-cache because we do not need pool on that squid real pool is on the
"upper" level squids)

acl as-isp1 dst_as xxxx yyyy
Where xxxx, yyyy are as numbers of the networks which are faster reachable
from isp1
acl as-isp2 dst_as qqqq wwww
Where qqqq, wwww are as numbers of the networks which are faster reachable
from isp2

cache_peer_access squid_isp1 deny as-isp2
cache_peer_access squid_isp2 deny as-isp1
So we never try get pages from as-isp2 from isp1 and vice versa
The rest of the world can be get from isp1 or isp2

never_direct allow all
We never get something direct.

Thats all

* Bartlomiej Solarz-Niesluchowski *
* Administrator WSISiZ *
* Motto - nie psuj Win'9x one i bez tego sie psuja.... *
* Jak sobie poscielisz tak sie wyspisz *