dns resolving problem

From: William Wong <willwong@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 22:39:42 -0400

Hi there,

I noticed a strange dns resolving problem with squid just recently. I'm
running squid-2.3.

In my resolv.conf I had listed:
127.0.0.1 and my isp's nameserver
I run my own nameserver so I list my local one first.

So now the problem:

If I remove my isp's nameserver from my resolv.conf, squid complains that it
can't find dns records even though my local nameserver runs fine and
resolves properly. If I add any other working nameserver's ip into my
resolf.conf, squid works fine.

After playing around for a bit, I discovered that I had to put:
dns_nameservers MYIP
into my squid.conf, so that it would be able to use my local nameserver.

So the question:
Why would squid have a problem with just 127.0.0.1 in resolv.conf? (opposed
to MYIP)

Thanks,
- Will

Side Note:
In the end I actually left 127.0.0.1 in my resolv.conf instead of changing
to my ip. Local dns lookups are faster this way. I added dns_nameservers
MYIP into my squid.conf to compensate.