Re: verifying from shadow file

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:22:13 +0200

Blaine Grady wrote:

> Can pam_auth or getpwnam_auth verify from /etc/shadow
> without modifying its privileges?

pam_auth can, given that your system is PAM enabled and has PAM support
for shadow passwords.. however to be able to do so the pam_auth binary
must be running as root (i.e. SUID root)

> When I ran pam_auth or getpwnam_auth from the command line (as root),
> I could not get them to verify valid usernames. I pointed them at /etc/shadow.
> Any ideas? Thanks.

pam_auth requires you to configure the service squid in PAM.. see the
comments in pam_auth.c. It takes no arguments outside the PAM
configuration files.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker, and author of pam_auth.c