cache out of file descriptors

From: Shannon Kelman <shannon.kelman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:34:54 -0500

Hi

I'm running Squid 2.2 Stable 5 on a Sun E-450 using 2 cache partitions
on separate drives. In the logs, I see the message "WARNING! Your cache
is running out of filedescriptors".

I assumed this problem was related to inodes. df -i revealed that I was
indeed out. After reformating to include more inodes per partition, the
error message re-appeared (inode usage is at 6-8%).

The second solution was setting etc/system rlim_fd_cur and rlim_fd_max
to 124 (a la SunSolve). Upon reboot, the error message returned. I
also see no changes.

The box receives heavy traffic - c. 700 users, 4300 requests/sec but
appears not to be running adversely despite what the error message
says. Can anyone suggest a fix or tell what it going on here? The
error message bothers me.

Regards
Shannon Kelman