Re: Squid Weekly Summary Interpretation

From: Bert Driehuis <bert_driehuis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 23:14:36 +0200 (CEST)

I'm not sure the Squid Weekly Summary was even part of Squid. It may have
been added by BSDI. I'm not using it myself, so I can't answer most
questions about its output.

On this one:

> I have some client objects that have 60% or higher "hit" rates on their
> request counts. Can an impatient user "artificially" inflate the %hit value
> by frequently refreshing the display? Or, does this really indicate that
> the user is frequently accessing a finite set of objects that change
> infrequently?

A 60% hit rate is feasable, depending on what the users do and what web
sites they visit. I've got some 2000 users behind my core proxies, and I
see URL hit rates of between 35 and 40 percent. Some of my larger sites
get 60% from time to time, but this is rare. URL hit rate is very
important for the perceived speed improvement. The byte hit rate I see is
between 12 and 18 percent. It is significantly lowered by stupidly
designed web pages and stuff like RealAudio. Byte hit rate is important if
upstream bandwidth is your major concern.

Users can impact your hit rates (for better or worse), but why would they?
Most users aren't even aware of the cache -- all they know is that I did
something magical to make it faster.

Cheers,

                                        -- Bert

Bert Driehuis, MIS -- bert_driehuis@nl.compuware.com -- +31-20-3116119