Re: Squid Weekly Summary Interpretation

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:03:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Bert Driehuis wrote:

> I'm not sure the Squid Weekly Summary was even part of Squid. It may have
> been added by BSDI. I'm not using it myself, so I can't answer most
> questions about its output.

Bert:

The summary is generated by the NLANR access-*.pl scripts by Duane Wessels
and the squid.weekly shell script. At one time the NLANR Perl scripts were
included in the distribution, circa 1.06 - 1.12.

Looks like its not included in the latest Squid distributions but continues
to be included in BSD/OS because its in the CVS tree.

> Users can impact your hit rates (for better or worse), but why would they?
> Most users aren't even aware of the cache -- all they know is that I did
> something magical to make it faster.

At the moment, I have Squid running at the customer site in a "production
test" mode. Those involved in the tests notice the performance improvements
to an extent. The customer is interested in a projection of how much
bandwidth might be saved.

Merton