Re: Illegal characters in URL?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:23:34 +0200

There is no illegal characters in the URL, but the URL does not
represent what you think it does.

What Squid does when trying to retreive this URL after logging in is to
 CWD incoming
 CWD tst
 CWD .MII
 CWD ~ (this is where it fails)
 CWD .[-RD-]
 RETR Deus.Ex-FLT

This is the correct way to read this URL according to the URL standard.
However, the FTP server in question handles ~ differenlty when part of a
path, compared to when it is sent alone or first component in a CWD
call. So to be able to enter this directory the / in front of the ~ has
to be encoded as %2f to make the virtual path component ".MII/~", which
the FTP server will handle in the intended way.

ftp://30.225.154.183/incoming/tst/.MII%2f~/.[-RD-]/Deus.Ex-FLT

Which translates to
  CWD incoming
  CWD tst
  CWD .MII/~
  CWD .[-RD-]
  RETR Deus.Ex-FLT
  [fails due to being a directory]
  CWD Deus.Ex-FLT

You will also see this problem if you connect with a normal FTP client
and tries to manually go down in the directory hierarchy. When you try
to enter ~ you will quite likely end up in the root directory of the
server.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker