Re: V2.3 & Cache Digest

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:21:16 +0200 (CEST)

There is one flaw in my calculation, see below.

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Jens-S. Voeckler wrote:
]
] [...]
]- Hence, a client which would send *more* than 3.9 million ICP requests
] per day (295 MB / 78 Byte) will profit from cache digests (in my
] case). A client with less than 3 mio requests per day might be
] better of with ICP, unless the first constraint from above applies.
] Again, there is an area of hysteresis between the decisions.

Due to domain partitioning, my clients would ask a set of two parents for
any object, so the request break even point is down to 2 mio requests per
day. If domain partitioning would not apply, every four caches would be
queried for objects, and the break even is even further down at 1 mio
requests per day and client.

]Use both constraints in conjunction, and add a good pinch of salt to
]make up for inaccuracies, e.g. more than 500 MB per day or more than
]3 mio requests per day.

Make that 1 .. 2 mio requests per day.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726