Log rotation and logrotate

From: Marc Haber <squid-users.ircache.net@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:58:06 GMT

Hi,

the FAQ says "the correct way to rotate logs is using squid -k
rotate". My squid isn't that busy, so I don't need to rotate logs on a
time based schedule. I'd like to use logrotate to have the logs
rotated when they exceed a certain size.

I'd like to know why using squid -k rotate is the "correct" way, and
if there is any chance to tell a running squid that somebody else has
taken care of rotating the logs and to tell that squid to start using
new log files.

Greetings
Marc