Re: Transparent Proxying and FTP.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:37:14 +0200

tristan@netasia-angeles.net wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Hmmm... Got transparent proxying work fine, but Download
> rates seems to be faster when using a manually configured proxy!
> Please help... Download via Transparent Proxing is only 7.0KBPS
> while manually configured proxy is at 23.1KBPS!

Hmm.. what are you using to transparently proxy FTP? Squid cannot to
this..

Regarding the download speed (which I assume is for HTTP transfers, not
FTP), this is certainly not normal, and is a sign of some kind of
misconfiguration or redirection incompability.

First test is to check if the speed degration is there when using normal
proxying without transparent redirection of TCP. If so then the TCP of
the proxy server is not tuned correctly. But you say that you have
already tested this and it is not the case so lets look elsewere.

If you are using policy routing to have the TCP packets redirected to
the proxy server then there are a couple of known issues:
a) Path MTU discovery proxy->client. If the client connection uses a
smaller MRU than the MTU of the proxy then problems will quite likely
arise because the policy routing does not match ICMP must fragment
packets..
b) The router making the redirection might become overloaded from the
added workload. Not all routers are suitable for policy routing.
c) The redirection might simply have been wrongly implemented.
d) Improper measurements of the download speed.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker