Re: Squid and wget

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:25:17 +0200

Usually not in a reliable manner. Problem is that many major web sites
makes HTML content uncacheable. Reasons vary from customized content
and/or marketing needing to know the exact hit count, to plain
stupidity.

But yes, in most cases it is doable. You have two options:

a) Offline mirroring using wget and some web server. Drawback is that
the URL the user has to browse to is the URL to your local mirrors, not
the original URLs.

b) Offline caching using Squid or another cache. Probably requires
aggressive tweaking of refresh_pattern rules to defeat the published
uncacheable state of the pages, and might also require offline_mode in
Squid to further enforce this.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker