Cache Overfilling on SOLARIS

From: Murphy Terrance M <MurphyTerranceM@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:03:59 -0500

Greetings all,

I am blessed as the administrator of a busy squid cache. We have three
Solaris boxes, at the moment two on 2.2STABLE5 and one on 2.3STABLE3. All
three are load
balanced behind one IP and funtion as a single parent proxy.

During this time I have been fighting squid's tendency to overfill the cache
( all squid versions ) which will cause repeated (hundreds) of "Terminated
abnormally" messages in the cache.log files in a very short time. Errors
look like this in 2.3STABLE3:

diskHandleWrite: FD 6: disk write error: (28) No space left on device
FATAL: Write failure -- check your disk space and cache.log
Squid Cache (Version 2.3.STABLE3): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 13.210 seconds = 3.160 user + 10.050 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB

I have read many messages concerning like problems in this forum but have
not been able to cure my problem. The only thing that works is to newfs the
cache directories and run squid -z and start over. It happens so often that
I've written a ksh srcript to do the whole rebuild automatically ( except
OK'ing the newfs for each partition !! ). I'm hoping that someone here
might see what I'm missing.

Details
----------
The boxes are Sun E3000's each with 2-3 cpu's and 512-1024 ram. Disks are
remote high-speed. I have noticed that at times if I remove one offending
partition, the remaining ones might function normally. More often than
not,
however, all partitions will crap out about the same time (since they all
reach capacity at the same time).

Each of the three caches consist of 12-14 2gig partitions. Each 2 gig
partition is adminisered by Solaris's disk tool, SOLSTICE, as a journaled
filesystem with plenty of jounaling space ( according to Sun's directions ).
I'm pretty sure that I have the new cache_dir directive correct in v2.3.
I've tried 2.3 with and without the external dnsservers.

For these three boxes Squid's cachemgr.cgi reported a total of 131 hit/sec
average over a five minute period during rush hour today. Things still work
when I have to take on machine down to newfs the cache, but don't move very
fast. I'm building another box to add to this parent cluster. I'm thinking
about not using the SOLSTICE disk manager for the cache dirs on this one,
just using the raw devices. Anyone have an opinion on this option? Or any
other
thoughts?

Terry Murphy
Network Public Access