Re: Just a quick check on a cache_peer setting

From: Jamie Shields <J.Shields@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:45:47 +0100

Hi Ray,

cache_peer proxy.mainsquid.com.au parent 80 3130 proxy-only no-
query

I think what this says is:
a) Your "child" cache will not use ICP to check whether or not the
parent has objects it wants.
b) That the child will not cache objects it gets from the parent.
c) All requests will go through the parent, and it (the parent) *will*
fetch objects on behalf of the "child" if it doesn't have them.

I reckon you might be better off with this (just my opinion--someone
correct me if I'm wrong ;-):

1) --enable-cache-digests at compile time. Almost *no* latency when
trying to find an object in a parent cache because the digest is held
locally in RAM.

2) cache_peer proxy.mainsquid.com.au parent 80 3130 no-query

I believe "no-query" stops the child Squid from ICP querying the
parent, but it doesn't stop the child from requesting the object from it.

With digests enabled, it'll just check the digest for available objects.
Proxy_Only can be turned on if you don't want the "child" to store
objects fetched from the parent digest hits. And...

3) "prefer_direct on" for good measure.

Now, the new Squid should never connect to the main cache, unless
it knows (from the cache digest) that the parent has the object it
wants. In all other cases, the child should go to the origin server
itself. Thinking about it, you might want to leave the "proxy-only" in
if your caches are so close together. It doesn't make much sense
to have the same object in two caches unless there is a big
performance hit in not doing so.

Is that what you need?
Jamie