remote proxy questions

From: pat lendon <plendon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:40:26 -0400

Hi,

I've read so many archives, the Squid User Guide (which is great) and
the faqs.

I have setup a new linux system running Squid 2.3.STABLE3. I would like
requests to first check the new squid server's cache and then if the
object is not found, be forwared to our main squid system located in the
same network. Once the request reaches the main server it needs to check
the main squid's cache and then go direct to origin server.

new_squid -> main_squid -> origin server

(1.) I've modified the squid.conf file and all is working. I don't
know if the lines in the conf file are exactly what I need. I'm
unsure....

cache_peer xx.xx.x.xxx parent 3128 3130
acl FTP proto FTP
acl main_squid url_regex ^http://10.10.1.100
acl new_squid src xx.xx.x.xxx
acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow new_squid
always_direct allow main_squid
always_direct allow FTP
http_access allow password
http_access deny all

(2.) If I need to query the new squid cache and main squid (parent)
cache, then do I need to use icp?

icp_port 3130
cache_peer xx.xx.x.xxx parent 3128 3130

The more I read, the more I'm confused. I'd like to keep things
simple. Thank you for any insight in the above questions.

-pat