RE: remote proxy questions

From: pat lendon <plendon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:00:50 -0400

Thank you for responding!

The never_direct allow all does not allow me to access parent cache -
ERROR Cache Access Denied.

I need the fifty remote users to access the new remote linux box with
password NCSA authentication. The requests need to check the cache,
then be forwarded to the main linux box (which has access to the
internet). There are about 600 users who log into the main linux box
with NCSA password authentication.

The list of acl's is listed for the new linux box - it works, but I
don't know that it's correct or how it is even working. I don't know
why or if I even should be using the url_regex acl for the main_squid
(I'm thinking I should use a src type instead of url_regex).

cache_peer xx.xx.x.xxx parent 3128 3130
acl FTP proto FTP
acl main_squid url_regex ^http://xx.xx.xx.xxx
acl new_squid src xx.xx.xx.xx
acl password proxyu_auth REQUIREd
http_access allow new_squid
always_direct allow main_squid
always_direct allow FTP
http_access allow password
http_access deny all

If I don't use icp, then squid will not query cahces - is my thinking
correct? Or, does squid query caches regardless if icp is specified and
icp is just a good/better protocol to use when querying caches?