squid as proxy only

From: Jens-Uwe Walther <Jens-Uwe.Walther@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:02:26 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I have an internal squid with a private class IP address connected via cache_peer
statement to an external squid in our DMZ with an official address.
The DMZ one is low on memory and has a slow CPU so I only want to make the DMZ one to
act as a king of application gateway for the internal squid - doing only the address
translation and do no caching at all.
Therefor I 've setup the DMZ one with (squid.conf excerpt):

acl QUERY urlpath_regex / \/
no_cache deny QUERY

cache_access_log /dev/null

cache_store_log none

But squid still consumes enough memory and cpu. Is there

1. a better way to tune squid
2. A good application gateway. http-gw from TIS fwtk don't support SSL and squid-gw as a
fwtk patch doesn't support http 1.1. So these tools are no good solutions.

Thanks
        Uwe