Re: Can't cache local intranet.

From: Jamie Shields <J.Shields@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:12:17 +0100

Hi Shuaib.

This may not be a squid problem. Check to see that there is nothing
like the following in your browser proxy configuration file. This
would stop your browser from even connecting to the cache for
unqualified host names or hosts in "yourdomain.com".

If (IsPlainHostName(host) ||
        dnsDomainIs(host,".yourdomain.com"))
return "DIRECT";

In addition, if you're accessing an intranet, it may not be worth
caching the objects as they'll be close to you anyway; you might
want to save the cache for the more "distant" objects. The exception
would be if you're intranet server was at the other end of a slow
WAN link.

Another cause may be the use of cache control headers (e.g. must-
revalidate, no-cache) on your intranet server, and/or your intranet
may be generating a lot of dynamic, uncacheable (spelling?)
content.

See: http://www.wdvl.com/Internet/Cache/cache2.html

If none of the above helps, there is a directive in the squid.conf
called "no_cache" which can be used to force squid bever to cache
anything from URLs matching a pre-defined acl. e.g.

acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
no_cache deny QUERY

This says that squid should never cache anything with "cgi-bin" or
"?" in the URL path. It is unlikely that this is your problem unless
you have modified this directive from the default.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Jamie

On 26 Jul 00, at 16:39, Shuaib Khan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Squids up and running fine, except for one thing - I can't cache local
> intranet pages.
>
> Whats stopping this from happening or how do I set it to allow this?
>

> Thanks
>

> Shuaib.

Jamie Shields
Deputy Computing Officer