Client without Proxy-support

From: Mario Wolff <wolff@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:47:43 +0200

Dear Subscribers, i hope this is readable couse i just subscribt!

If got the following problem: I´ve got some clients in my network (some
embedet like) witch have no proxy support. They have to use a webserver
(intranet) witch is only reachable over a squid. The same proxy should be
usable with normal clients (netscapes).
I tried the following with a "Squid Cache: Version 2.3.STABLE4".
This is my squid.conf after cat squid.conf|grep -v ^#|uniq (i switched the
real computer and net names couse mine are a little bit cryptical)

    http_port 8080
    icp_port 0

    cache_mem 16 MB

    redirect_program /usr/local/squid/bin/redirect.pl
    redirect_children 5
    redirect_rewrites_host_header off

    refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
    refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
    refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320

    acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
    acl manager proto cache_object
    acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
    acl SSL_ports port 443 563
    acl Safe_ports port 80 21 443 563 70 210 1025-65535
    acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
    acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
    acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
    acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
    acl CONNECT method CONNECT

    http_access allow manager localhost
    http_access deny manager
    http_access deny !Safe_ports
    http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
    http_access allow all
    http_access deny all
    icp_access allow all
    miss_access allow all

    visible_hostname squid.intra.net
    dns_testnames ns.intra.net

    forwarded_for off
    redirector_bypass off

I used this as the redirektor:

    #! /usr/bin/perl
    $|=1;
    while (<>) {
        open LOG, ">>/tmp/redirect.log";
        print LOG;
        close LOG;

        s@^(.*://)squid.intra.net:8080/(\S*).*$@$1$2@;
        print;

        open LOG, ">>/tmp/redirect.log";
        print LOG;
        close LOG;
    }

Then i tried to open:
http://squid.intra.net:8080/webserver.proxy.net/index.html
with an netscape with my squid as http-proxy it shows me my webservers
mainpage.
Then i switched of the proxy-settings and i got something like:
    The Dokument /webserver.proxy.net/index.html could not be accessed on
the Server
    squid.intra.net
In the 2.nd case i can´t see anything in the redirect.log.
Then i have tried to toogle the settings
    redirect_rewrites_host_header off
    redirector_bypass off
but nothing. Then i tried to configure the Squid as an httpd-accelerator.
I´ve changed the servername in the redirector to the accelerated server, but
the redirect.pl is not called. And so i switched the settings once again.
Nothing!
Whats wrong with this. How can the the squid know that the second thing is
not an proxy request. I´ve read the squid dokumentation, the FAQ, and
something about HTTP and i think this should work but it does not.

An other Problem of this use is that i have to parse every html-document to
switch relativ-links to absolute one. This could be usefull for for content-
and virus-filters too. Is it possible to insert something like this?

I´ve read many postings in the mailing-archive but i cant find somethink
usefull for my problem. If i´am off-topic please tell me where to read
answers.

Thanks to all!

Mario Wolff

P.S.: Sorry for my "spezial" cient of your (the english) language, but i use
it most times to read it and not to write something. I hope my posting is
understandable!