Re: CPU utilization question

From: Igor Plisco <igor@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 10:41:51 +0400

"Nightingale, Don" wrote:

> I have squid running on a 550Mhz Compaq proliant w/128M of RAM (Linux v2.2
> kernel), and and 18G raid 5 array. Regardless of the # of active users, the
> process runs at 99% CPU, but at a low priority. Is this normal behavior?
>
> It seems to be running fine in any case.

Hi!

I have the same problem. I have Celeron 333 with 64 Mb RAM under RedHat.
I see 3 squid processes in ps, 1 runs as root, 2 as user squid, as set
in config. One of last processes seems normal, it eats few %% of CPU and
about 30% of memory, as configured. The second one eats 99% or like CPU
and few %% of memory.

When I kill by hand this process, squid works well nevertheless, but
sometimes writes in cache.log following lines:
> 2000/08/03 06:26:22| unlinkdUnlink: write FD 6 failed: (32) Broken pipe

May be, this process performs unlinkd functions?

First I used squid 2.3Stable3 and upgraded it to STABLE4 preserving
config file - the problem remains.

Another problem which I have - sometimes Squid halts, that is, Netscapes
don't download pages, though squid processes remain in the system. This
problem was both in STABLE3 and in STABLE4. After I killed process
eating 99% CPU 2 days ago, I had no halting. (Statistics is too little,
of course; I use Squid in real load only a week).

By the way, when only I used Squid, it used 99% CPUU too.

Igor Plisco