Re: System Requirements

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 08:41:57 +1000

I used to run a MS Proxy2 , on their recommended specs, and the machine just
couldn't keep up. That was with 'server' hardware as well. Look at the
polygraph bake off's, and you can see what's being done to get the maximum
performance from proxy vendors (btw: open question, where's proxy 2 in the
recent bakeoff? No entry?) If your needs are modest, I believe squid runs
very well on lower hardware than MS proxy, as long as you give it enough
RAM. If you are caching buffalo.edu, then you might want to look at a good
unit, or even a load-balanced redundant setup.

Of course, YMMV
Rob