Re: System Requirements

From: Peter Polkinghorne <Peter.Polkinghorne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 10:24:04 +0100

My take is that you can run with surprisingly little CPU power, providing
you have adequate memory for your cache (ie the 10Mb/1Gb mmeory/disk ratio)
and reasonable disks.

For example we have 2 web caches on our site which are:

SPARCstation 20 Model 61 (ie measly 60Mhz processor)
with 192Mb memory, and 4x4Gb SCSI drives + 1Gb SCSI system disk.
Actual cache is 8Gb.

This handles at peak: 1 million requests, 12Gb data in 24 hours.

This works OK, but CPU is starting to be a limiting factor (60%+ cpu

We use Squid 2.1

[sorry for delay in replying]

| Peter Polkinghorne, Computer Centre, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH,|
| Peter.Polkinghorne@brunel.ac.uk   +44 1895 274000 x2561       UK          |