Re: To use internal DNS or not to use internal DNS?

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:01:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, WOL - Rene G. Joergensen wrote:

]Is there an advantage in using the internal DNS?

Yes! You cannot run out of server processes, which definitely helps. Also,
my DNS latency seemed less troublesome than previously.

]It this problem solved in v2.3? Or will squid hang if a DNS-query is
]taking a really long time?

No, Squid implemented the DNS-RFC and queries the name server by
circumventing the useful but limiting gethostbyXXXX API. Probably a little
like GNU libadns.

]My logic tells me that using external DNS much be faster, since that more
]queries can be done at one time?

You can also have up to 32 parallel DNS queries with the xternal process.
But yes, the internal one feels faster ever since I use it.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726