Re: Encrypted communication between browser and proxy ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 23:44:26 +0200

Sean Kelly wrote:

> I am wanting to encrypt the data sent from the browser to the
> proxy regardless of whether I'm viewing http:// or https://.
> I've heard that utilities like 'sslwrap' can be used with some
> daemons to add SSL capabilities if supported (I'm currently using
> this for POP and IMAP requests, but don't think it's possible to
> use it with web access proxying).

The hardest part is what to do on the browser side of things. SSL
support for Squid is already implemented using OpenSSL with the purpose
of allowing Squid to act as a SSL accelerator, but it can also be used
for proxying IFF the browser can be told to connect to the proxy using
SSL (which would make proxied https requests use SSL over SSL)

It is sort of analogue to SSL IMAP or POP3. You cannot contact to a SSL
IMAP server unless your client is SSL aware. None of the known browsers
on the market are SSL aware for proxy connections.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker