[SQU] Dual Proxy Question

From: Bruce Markey <bruce@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:06:27 -0400

Hi all..

I am a new squid user with an interesting scenerio and I was hoping someone
could shed some light on this for me.

We are basically a wireless isp. I decided to put in a squid box to help
with some of our larger requests. We have some schools as customers and
when 60 kids request the same pages it will free up a ton of our bandwidth.

Here is the problem. We have an outgoing t1 to internet. But our downlink
is a 25meg satalite link.. This link must run on a machine running wingate
proxy. The squid is on the same network as this proxy. We also have 2
Win2k machines running dns. And last but not least all of our customers are
on a fake ip scheme, and are translated into a real addy by a Linux Router
Project Box.

My question is how can i tell the squid box to pass requests off to the
wingate proxy. The wingate box is doing no caching. Is it just as simple
as naming this as a parent cache server?

And last, since my lrp box translates all fakes into one real i can
effectivly set my access to http_allow that ip address and all will be
granted access on our network.

Thanks for the help all.. Hope to get this running today!

Bruce Markey
Network Engineer/Partner
DDG Wireless
1-717-684-8481