Re: [SQU] two questions

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:13:07 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, MaD dUCK wrote:

> hi,
> i am using squid on top of an isdn router for a small internal network. the
> isdn router is configured with diald to establish a connection whenever needed
> and to hang up soon again.
>
> whenever i request some more complicated page on the web, after done surfing,
> i close the browser and squid will continue requesting at irregular intervals,
> bringing the link up and down 10 to 15 times after the surfing is already done.
>
> i want to know why this is happening (the page loaded completely, i.e. squid
> has no images to retry loading), and more importantly, how to turn it off...

run tcpdump on your network and find out what traffic is going over
the router.

> my other question deals with the auto-proxying using IP forwarding so that
> browsers need not be configured for a proxy. the router is running ipchains,
> so it's not problem for me to redirect all requests to port 80 to squid.
>
> but i need to reconfigure squid (2.3.STABLE4) with --enable-ipf-transparent,
> and when i try to do so, configure outputs:
>
> checking if IP-Filter header files are installed... ./configure: test: ==:
> binary operator expected
> ./configure: test: ==: binary operator expected
> no
> WARNING: Cannot find necessary IP-Filter header files
> Transparent Proxy support WILL NOT be enabled
>
> how can i make configure squid with ipf-transparent? (running linux 2.2.16
> with ip forwarding enabled.)

You don't want to --enable-ipf-transparent with linux.

Just follow the directions at http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html#ss17.7

The configure bug has been fixed. you can get a patch here:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.3/bugs/#squid-2.3.stable4-ipfw_configure

Duane W.