Re: [SQU] Help!

From: David Luyer <david_luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:31:54 +1000

> Hi all
>
> Am using 2.4Dev2 on a BSDI box. Looked through the FAQ and mailing-list but
> just can't find anything on tweeking squid's timing for requesting the cache
> digest from its peer. All I did find was that a peer answering a request
> for its digest will specifiy a expiry time for that digest using the HTTP
> Expires header. Thanx a bunch for the help.

All defined in peer_digest.c:

static time_t
peerDigestNewDelay(const StoreEntry * e)
{
    assert(e);
    if (e->expires > 0)
        return e->expires + PeerDigestReqMinGap - squid_curtime;
    return PeerDigestReqMinGap;
}

PeerDigestReqMinGap is 5 minutes.
GlobDigestReqMinGap is 1 minute.

This means that no individual digest is requested more often than once every 5
minutes and the total digest request rate is not more often than once every
minute. The actual logic to enforce this is in peerDigestCheck as well as
being used in other places to set initial values.

Where an expires header is present the request is scheduled at 5 minutes after
the expire time.

David.

David Luyer
Senior Network Engineer
Pacific Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd
Phone:  +61 3 9674 7525
Fax:    +61 3 9699 8693
Mobile: +61 4 1064 2258, +61 4 1114 2258
http://www.pacific.net.au        NASDAQ: PCNTF
<< fast 'n easy >>