[SQU] AIM: SQUID: FIREWALL

From: <kst.amand@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 06:55:08 -0400

I have been reading threads of those who have been successfull in having AOL IM
run over Squid Proxy. Unfortunately, we are not successful.

We have Squid 2.3-Stable4 on a Linux box (RH6.1), behind a firewall. The users
client configuration has been setup as follows;

* Server section;
Host - login.oscar.aol.com
Port - 5190

* Connect using Proxy is checked ad configured as follows;
Host - address of our proxy
Port - 8080
Protocol - HTTPS

* Authenticaon;
Authentication is not implemented

I believe I have all the required SQUID.CONF settings along with Firewall
settings based on seeing the following;

- In my access.log file I see the CONNECT method accepted for my client (no
corresponding fail messages - that I can tell)
- In the firewall log, I see the accept for the AOL IM service (again, no
corresponding fail messages - that I can tell)

But, that's where it ends for me. From the client, all you ever see is
CONNECTING and then eventually it fails with the error - CONNECTION LOST. CHECK
YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION (all other traffic works fine).

These are the settings we have in our SQUID.CONF that I belive should allow this
connection;

http_port 8080
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl SSL_ports port 443 563 1080 5190 12863
acl Safe_ports port 80 21 443 119 70 210 1025-65535
acl CONNECT method CONNECT

http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access allow localhost

http_access allow all

I have read and researched the FAQ's and the archive's, but I truly am at a loss
and would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.