Re: [SQU] Full cache prevents TCP_MEM_HIT?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 20:37:27 +0200

Steve Snyder wrote:

> Now the machine with the full cache (I'll call it cacheA) and the
> machine whose cache is not yet filled (cacheB) show dramatically
> difference rates of TCP_MEM_HITs. The ads on cacheA are still
> zapped, but that tiny GIF file is now read out of the disk-based
> cache to satisfy requests, while cacheB still serves them out of RAM.
> Last week cacheA only had 4 (yes, f-o-u-r) TCP_MEM_HITs. Jeez!

Squid does only cache objects retreived from the network in memory.
Objects which are retreived from the disk are not cached in memory other
than in you OS disk buffers.

Try if the following changes things back to what you were used to:
1. Open the gif in a netscape browser, preferably using it's real URL.

2. Push "Shift+reload" to force the gif to be reretreived from the http
server.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker