Re: [SQU] Protocol dependend SMB_auth !! Got the solution. Maybe you should add it to your faq.

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 09:00:34 +1100

So what you are doing is using the SMB authenticator to restrict "REQUIRED"
user to a subset of the customers valid NT users..

hmm interesting. I still think pulling the group membership from the PDC and
then basing your auth on that is the way to go. You could easily pull the
data in cron to squid and reconfigure on the fly at midnight or whenever.
The things I don't like about your solution (whilst it works...) are
a) it's user dependant. what if the user doesn't use the pac file? then they
have problems and won't understand why.
b) you are using a lot more resources on the squid box(s) because you have
two instances of squid running on each.
c) if that NT box your files are on goes down, or they want to go to
encrypted SMB links your squid service will stop... whereas authentication
alone can use multiple DC's (if the authenticator supports it)... see what
kinkie and I built for NT CHAP authentication. (not stable yet... (feedback
to both of us please).. but you could build the same functionality to
SMB_authenticator)

Rob