Re: [SQU] WCCP + USER AUTH

From: Gary Barnden <gary@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:33:17 +1000

Hello Colin

Thanks for the definitive answer :-( saved me heaps of time.

Before i abandon this solution, can i make it so that if Squid receives a
redirected packet from the router Squid will simply redirect the request to
a predetermined web page explaining that they must set their proxys and
authenticate before being able to browse the web??

Thanks for the help

At 12:18 14/09/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Gary Barnden wrote:
>
> > Any more ideas ??? getting desperate
> >

> > Hello All,
> >
> > Thanks to this list i now have my
> > Cisco 3640
> > WCCP
> > FreeBSD4.1
> > Squid 2.3 Snap
> > IPFILTER
> >
> > configuration working like a charm. However i'd now like to
> > authenticate my users with a username and password. I remember reading
> > somewhere that this isn't possible with Transparent Proxing. Is this
> > correct? Has anyone hacked a solution to this problem?
>
>If you think about how a browser works you'll see that it isn't
>possible. The browser knows about two authentication types - one for a web
>server and proxy-authentication. When it's configured to work with a proxy
>it will get a "proxy-auth reqd" error back from the proxy and send
>username/password with all future connections.
>
>In your case, even if you managed to force squid to send a "proxy-auth
>reqd" err back to the browser, the browser will never send the
>proxy-authentication part of the HTTP header cos it isn't, as far as it
>knows, using a proxy.
>
>Colin

Kind regards

Gary Barnden