Re: [SQU] increasing performance

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:24:15 -0500

Hi Fabian,

You're not "increasing performance" you're decreasing usage. Every time
you restart Squid, Squid will close all of it's connections (it will try
to finish them, but if they last longer than ~30 seconds--this is user
configurable--they are killed), and then restart. Bad idea.

If you are needing to do this, then you need more RAM in your box.
Supporting 50 clients on a 64k connection is not a tough load for Squid
on reasonable hardware.

If you want to stop, or restrict that type of usage (mp3, mpeg, etc.)
use ACLs to block them, or delay pools to reduce the bandwidth each
client can use.

Restarting every hour is bad news for a lot of reasons. For one, your
Squid has to rebuild it's in-RAM swap table (which why you see cache
objects drop to zero...they all have to be indexed into RAM again...a
performance killer, not booster).

So in short: Don't do that. Look into your squid.conf and set it up
to limit bandwidth and file downloading the right way.

                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances