[SQU] NTLM in Multi domain environment

From: Craig Fels <csfels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:44:19 -0500

I have been reading up on the NTLM authentication FAQ. I saw that currently the development only supports one domain controller.

I am in an environment where we have one SQUID proxy serving 2 locations with a total of 3 domains. There are only a HANDFULL of users in 2 of the domains, with 90%+ in the 3rd domain. If I configure Squid to use NTLM for authentication and specify the domain controller for the domain with the largest user pool, what happens with the people in the other 2 domains? With they be blocked? I understand this will be based on the order my ACL's are in, but I'm asking because I have to accomplish a certain number of things....

1) Use a proxy to cache and monitor internet access
2) Block inappropriate internet access using ACL's

Currently, these are working nicely...

3) authenticate using NTLM (seemless to user) and record the domain\userid to access.log

#3 is pretty important. If I implement it with domain3's domain controller and in the process block domain1 and domain2 users, this implementation will be useless.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Craig