Re: Advice for CARP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 00:22:55 +0200

Is it Squid we are talking here, or something else?

If it is Squid then Squid only implements the hasing based request
routing part of the CARP client, with all routing weights hardcoded in
squid.conf on each and every client cache. The parents does not actually
have to run CARP at all with the current Squid configuration.

If you are using CARP without ICP then you most likely must also use
prefer_direct off.

The Squid implementation is only about 1/4 of a full CARP
implementation. Things missing are:
a) Fetching+Parsing of a CARP membership table, to not have everything
hardcoded in squid.conf.
b) Intra-Array routing of requests (optional, low prio)
c) CARP master which builds and publishes the CARP membership table for
clients to use.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker