Re: [SQU] accelerator mode vs. trasparent mode

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:15:44 +0200

Seung Yoo wrote:

> 1. What is the difference between accelerator mode vs.
> trasparent mode? They both seem do the same thing with
> the different methods(i.e., client do not do anything to
> their browser and think that they are accessing the web
> server while connecting to Squid).

The difference is the context where it is done, and most details in how
traffic actually arrives to the proxy.

> 2. In the accelerator mode section of FAQ, it says that
> the Squid only caches "cachable objects, such as HTML
> pages and GIFs" and requests "non-cachable objects, such
> as queries and cgi-bin programs" for clients, but I thought
> Squid also caches cgi results...

Squid caches all that is cacheable. However most dynamically generated
content is marked as un-cacheable by the origin server.

Squid does not actually care how a request is generated. It only cares
about the HTTP headers in the reply sent by the server.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker