Re: [SQU] Questions about accelerator mode, plz... ^^

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 08:42:39 +0200

Seung Yoo wrote:

> 1. FAQ seems to indicate that Squid in accel. mode can not
> cache cgi results:
>
> FAQ, section 20.1
> "In such a configuration, the web administrator renames all
> non-cachable URLs to the httpd's port (81). The cache serves
> references to cachable objects, such as HTML pages and GIFs,
> and the true httpd (on port 81) serves references to
> non-cachable objects, such as queries and cgi-bin programs."

This is when you because of load reasons or whatever DOES NOT WANT
uncacheable URL's to be sent thru the accelerator.

Completely optional.

> If squid in accel. mode can cache other Internet objects, why
> can't it cache cgi results or php results? If I want to cache cgi
> or php pages, what are the configurations?

It can, provided the result of these CGI or PHP pages are indeed
cacheable.

> 2. In the quote above, it says, " the web administrator renames
> all non-cachable URLs to the httpd's port (81)", and what does
> it mean?

Ignore it. It does not apply to the setup you want.

What it says is that if you have a web server on port 81 for uncacheable
requests, then rewriting the URLs in the HTML pages to use a URL with
port number 81 will cause the clients to connect directly there,
bypassing the accelerator.

> 3. FAQ says that one Squid machine in accel. mode can act as a
> single front end for multiple web servers. How could it be
> accomplished since one can only put one host and port number on
> "httpd_accel_host" and "httpd_accel_port" tag?

Via httpd_accel_virtual, httpd_accel_uses_host_header and/or a
redirector helper.

When running as an accelerator the exact same engine is used as when
running a proxy. The only major difference is in how it parses the
received request. When the request has been parsed to know what URL is
requested, this URL is in principle proxied as if it was running as a
proxy. This means that redirection/URL rewriting, peer selection and so
on also applies to accelerated requests

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker