Re: [SQU] Another HTTP/1.1 persistent connection question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 23:51:20 +0200

Connection presistance in Squid is implemented per RFC2616 where the
server connections are maintained separately from the client
connections. When a request has been received (from a persistent
connection or a new one, does not matter) Squid selects a connection
from the pool of idle connections to that server, or opens a new
connection if no idle connection is found. When the server has finished
sending the reply to Squid the server connection is returned to the pool
of idle connections for that server to allow reuse on the next received
request for that server, idependently of from which client the next
request is received.

Squid is slowly moving towards full support of HTTP/1.1, but this will
take a while yet (probably a year or so). However, connection
persistance is one of the few areas that is actually fully finished
already (if you discount the fact that Squid also supports HTTP/1.0
style persistent connections, which HTTP/1.1 specifications does not
allow).

Some time later we might also experiment with request pipelining even if
discouraged for proxies in the HTTP/1.1 specifications. However, doing
it correctly in a proxy is far from trivial, and is probably why RFC2616
discourages it's use in proxies.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker