[SQU] Squid problem (surely not!)

From: Alex Hudson <hudson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 16:16:04 +0100

Hi everyone.

We're having a problem with our squid proxy. It was working fine until a
couple of days ago, since when we started getting errors. The problem is
that the connections don't seem to work well at all: we get "ERROR : The
requested URL could not be retrieved (Read Timeout)", also, sometimes a
connection denied. This error is being generated by squid. Often,
pictures do not download fully either (cut off at some point), web pages
also stop halfway. File downloads generally choke at about 5k, if not
sooner.

Stuff I have checked:
 * mailing list archive ;) no-one else seems to have something like
this.
 * Squid. Tried stable-1, now on stable-4. No difference. Works on my
machine, not on the server!
 * configuration file. I have copied my (working) configuration to the
server, no joy.
 * file descriptors. Plenty available, lsof | wc -l counts around 800,
4096 available.
 * internet connection. Going direct (via masq) works, through squid it
doesn't.
 * firewall. Turned it off. No different.
 * log files. Doesn't report any real errors; just the connection closed
stuff.

There are lots of "FIN_WAIT2" connections, if that's any help. Running
on 2.2.16, RedHat edition ;) I'm running the same kernel, and squid
works for me. Not much other software running on the server, certainly
nothing that should interact. The squid proxy is sitting on the
firewall, so all the masq packets are being routed through it anyway -
it's just when we plug squid into the equation stuff starts going
flakey.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Cheers,

Alex Hudson.

--
Alex Hudson <hudson@ID-PRO.co.uk> * Open Source I.T.
* ID-PRO UK Ltd. * 1 Benjamin Street * London EC1M 5QG