Re: [SQU] any bugs with 2.2.17 & squid ?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 16:43:24 -0500

Ok...

What load are you seeing on your Squid? You are likely overloading your
cache by quite a lot. 32k file descriptors (as mentioned in your
descriptors available, and I've never seen one run out. So if you're
running out, even though you have that many, the box is definitely not
handling the load.

The difference between 2.2.16 and 2.2.17 that you're seeing may be due
to the IDE elevator, which in 2.2.17 has some of the 'features' of 2.4
backported to it, to improve latency when the box is under load. These
are not particularly good for Squid's disk usage patterns (or for most
other common usage patterns either, if recent discussion regarding it is
to be believed), and will cause it to run a little slower...maybe 10%.
I haven't looked into how to tune the elevator values in the 2.2 series
kernels, as all of my testing is now done on kernel 2.4, but maybe
elvtune will work with the backported stuff in 2.2.17. Does anyone
know? It might be easier to go back to what worked. ;-)

Have you tried async i/o or DiskD? They can improve throughput a lot.
However, be aware that async i/o is only stable in 2.2.STABLE5. 2.3's
async is very flaky and I would not trust it on a high load production
cache. Henrik is fixing that in the hno-devel branch at
squid.sourceforge.net, but I haven't had time to test it thoroughly yet,
so I'd still recommend Henrik's 2.2.STABLE5 version for async.

Also, switching to ReiserFS for the filesystem for your cache_dir's can
improve performance by about 20%-25%.

Go here for further Linux/Squid tuning ideas:

http://www.swelltech.com/pengies/joe/squidtuneup/t1.html

Good luck.

                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>