RE: [SQU] HUGE STUFF UP

From: Randy Bey <Randy.Bey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 08:42:50 -0600

Well that's probably because deleting a user only removes the ID from
/etc/passwd. The files, etc. that squid needs to run still have an identity
(a uid number) assigned to them.
When you added the user squid back in, it got assigned a new uid number that
DOESN'T match the old squid uid number. This means that the new user has NO
access to the original files.

Do a ls -l in the squid directory and you will probably see numbers instead
of names in the middle fields ("root sys" would be more typical names you
would see).

Those numbers are what you want to replicate in the new squid user id. The
first number is uid, the second is gid, or group id.

Delete your new squid user and then add it back in like you did before,
except the command line would look more like:

useradd -u XXX -g YYY blah blah blah squid

where XXX is the uid number of squid's original files, and YYY is the gid
number.

This will allow the squid user access to the original files, which he
probably doesn't have now.