RE: I know the Problem with ntlm

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:03:50 +1100

Thomas,
        can you please cc your replies on this discussion to the list: I
am not the only squid-ntlm developer.

Hacing looked into case-sensitivity for usernames, I don't know if
ldap/unix systems will allow test and Test to be different usercodes,
but in case they do I am not going to make the username check
case-insensitive for that reason. What I will do is make sure that the
username returned from NTLM is always uppercase.

The usernames are of the format domain\user because that is the couple
used by MS who wrote the spec. (It's not a feature it's what the decode
process returns). A similar issue exists with domain names where you
have www.foo.net or www. Just using www can result in confusion. So just
using GOEBELT could be a problem. I.E. what if you have two user
domains, and a repeated username across them?

What we could do is get the helper to return just the username component
(turned on or off with a command switch) - kinkie what do you think? The
helper should do it as it is where caching and optimisations are being
placed at this point.

More later when I've done my investigating...

Thanks
Rob