RE: I know the Problem with ntlm

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:22:56 +0200

> Thomas,
> can you please cc your replies on this discussion to the list: I
> am not the only squid-ntlm developer.
>
> Hacing looked into case-sensitivity for usernames, I don't know if
> ldap/unix systems will allow test and Test to be different usercodes,
> but in case they do I am not going to make the username check
> case-insensitive for that reason. What I will do is make sure that the
> username returned from NTLM is always uppercase.

I can do that at the authenticator level, only with lower case
(it's just a matter of personal taste, I dislike upper-case).
If you want, I can make a command-line switch to change the behavior.
The check against the domain is case-insensitive anyways...
This is exactly the reason why I implemented the case-insensitive
switch for http_auth acls. I don't know whether it's in the current
CVS, if not I can send you a patch.

> The usernames are of the format domain\user because that is the couple
> used by MS who wrote the spec. (It's not a feature it's what
> the decode
> process returns).

I did it for consistency with the Microsoft Proxy behaviour.
It would be nice however if logged entries weren't URLencoded,
at least as far as the \ character goes.

> A similar issue exists with domain names where you
> have www.foo.net or www. Just using www can result in
> confusion. So just
> using GOEBELT could be a problem. I.E. what if you have two user
> domains, and a repeated username across them?

With the current domain code, it shouldn't work at all.
The domain is _required_.

> What we could do is get the helper to return just the
> username component
> (turned on or off with a command switch) - kinkie what do you
> think? The
> helper should do it as it is where caching and optimisations are being
> placed at this point.

Cannot do. What about the case where you have user foo\bar and gazonk\bar
then? No, the domain part is to remain. Blame Microsoft for such a
dumb design.

--
	/kinkie, going back to coding NOW.