Re: [SQU] Newbie: controlling background activity

From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:12:17 -0700 (PDT)

Paul,

Squid will only refresh its cache if you tell it to do
so!! To force squid to re-read its config files, type
in the following:

squid -k reconfigure

This should solve your problem. In order for this to
be done, say hourly, use the cron generator to run the
above line. However, if you wanted to do this, you'll
have to contact me, as it would take me another e-mail
to explain!!!!!

I hope that this is of some help,
Regards,

Thomas Adam
re: thomas_adam16@yahoo.com

- Paul Sherwin <psherwin@strayduck.com> wrote: > I've
set up a squid proxy server for a small LAN
> linked to the net via an
> ISDN bridging router. All seems to work, except that
> bursts of HTTP network
> activity seem to occur periodically through the
> router for no obvious
> reason. I'm guessing this is something to do with
> Squid refreshing its
> cache, but I don't know how to control this
> behaviour - I'd like to force
> this to particular times of day, or disable it
> altogether in the absence of
> user activity.
>
> Can anybody point me towards a good source of info
> about this, or is there
> something obvious I've missed?
>
> TIA, Paul
>
> Paul Sherwin Consulting 22 Monmouth Road, Oxford
> OX1 4TD, UK
> Phone +44 (0)1865 721438
> http://www.psherwin.strayduck.com
> Mobile +44 (0)7931 578334
> mailto:psherwin@strayduck.com
> Pager +44 (0)7666 797228
>
> --

=====
Thomas Adam
Linux Co-ordinator for The Purbeck School

e-mail (school): n6tadam@users.purbeck.dorset.sch.uk
e-mail (yahoo) : thomas_adam16@yahoo.com