Re: [SQU] Execute "squid -k" as different user

From: Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 06:16:13 -0700 (PDT)

> I want to execute a "squid -k reconfigure" not as
> user "squid" and not as
> user "root". How can I do this?

This is quite easy... the main squid executable is
located in /usr/bin. You can change the permissions of
this "executable" by using chmod if you are in the
console. However, I suggest that you login, run KDE,
and then using KDE's file manager, select squid under
/usr/bin, right click on that file, select properties,
and then change the ownership of that file from root
to anyone.

> If I can't do this, can I execute this command in a
> script. This script
> should have userId "squid". Does anybody know how to
> set the permissions of
> this script to execute under "squid" if another user
> runs this script?

The permissions of the squid script can be change by
the following:

change to the folder that contains the script.
Type the following:

chmod +x "script"

where "script" is the name of your script.
Once this has been done, copy this script into the
/usr/bin file and anyone should have access to it.
> Thank you very much!
>
> Vitodata AG, Fabian Kraemer
> Deisruetistrasse 10, CH-8472 Ohringen b. Winterthur
> Telefon +41 (0)52 320 55 55, Fax +41 (0)52 320 55 66
> Telefon direkt +41 (0)52 320 58 90
> mailto: fabian.kraemer@vitodata.ch

=====
Thomas Adam
Linux Co-ordinator for The Purbeck School

e-mail (school): n6tadam@users.purbeck.dorset.sch.uk
e-mail (yahoo) : thomas_adam16@yahoo.com