[SQU] cache_peer questions

From: <plendon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:55:11 +500

Hi,

I am using Squid-2.3.STABLE3. If not in cache, all requests are
sent thru firewall direct to orgin servers.

I have a few urls that can not be accessed, because they use odd
ports (and we don't like odd ports). One example,
www.support.vectra.hp.com:8001.

When using an Apache server, the ProxyRemote directive was
used to pass the above url to another Apache proxy server that
would allow the odd port to go direct to origin server.
ProxyRemote http://www.support.vectra.hp.com:8001 http:/(our
second Apache hostname that allows odd ports):80

I am trying to setup Squid to accomplish the same thing as
Apache's ProxyRemote directive. I've been looking at the Squid
archives and chapter eight of the Squid User's Guide. I think I need
something like:

acl vectra dstdomain www.support.vectra.hp.com:8001
cache_peer (ip address of apache's server accepting odd ports)
parent 80 0 no-query
cache_peer_access (ip address of apache's server accepting odd
ports) allow vectra
cache_peer_access (ip address of apache's server accepting odd
ports) deny all

I've tested this and Squid is still trying to send the above url thru the
firewall and then direct to origin server. The Squid server is not
sending the url to the Apache server. Are the above acl rules the
rules that I need to access another server? Are there any
problems sending a Squid request to an Apache server?

I do not want any requests to be sent to the Apache server,
except odd ports defined in acl's. I'm assuming that all request will
continue to go thru firewall and direct to origin servers, unless a
specific a acl is directed to goto Apache server.

Thank you in advance for any insight on how to direct a few
specific urls to a second proxy server that is setup to allow odd
ports to go direct to origin server.

-pat